Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Face Primer Review: Smashbox vs. bareMinerals

Hi Guys!
Today I am reviewing 2 kinds of foundation primer. First is the “Prime Time” by bareMinerals and second is the “Photo finish” by Smashbox. 

 I have used both kinds back and forth over the past few months. All you need it a pea size dot to blend all over your face, you will not look greasy if you use the correct amount! What I found with the Smashbox primer was that if my skin was dry it would look flakey once I applied my foundation. I didn’t even realize my face was that dry especially since I use moisturizer religiously. (and you should too!) The worst thing a skin product can do is enhance a problem rather than help fix it.  Whereas the next day when my skin was just as dry and I used the bareMinerals primer, my face looked smooth with no flakes!  Needless to say I’m definitely favoring the bareMinerals over Smashbox.  Maybe now that the winter dryness is over I’ll give smashbox another try.
I know that some people say a primer really isn’t that important but I find it does help your makeup apply smoother and last a little bit longer.  If you’re not 100% about buying a product see if they have a smaller sample size instead.  I hate spending a lot of money on a product i’m unsure about and end up hating.  Sephora and Ulta are really good about highlighting the On-the-go items near the checkout, I wish they had more!
As far as price goes...
Smashbox can range from $16 for the 0.5 oz. to $49 for the 2 oz.
vs.
bareMinerals starts off at $14 for the 0.5 oz. to $21 for the 1.0 oz.

Overall, bareMinerals primer is one of my must haves. Have you tried it before? What are your thoughts on face primer, need it or leave it?

xxoo Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I really like the Tarte Clean Slate Primer. But I will have to give the Bare Minerals a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah so many different primers to choose from! :) everyone says that the smashbox primer is amazing, but it's kind of expensive in my opinion. i've used the Laura Mercier primer (girl at the makeup counter used it on me when i was trying on foundation) and i thought it left my skin looking pretty smooth, but it's also expensive. i really wanted to try the Bare Minerals one because i heard good things about it and it's significantly cheaper :D i need to buy some and try it for myself

    ReplyDelete